Monday, May 18, 2015

Science of Acoustics

Today, I had an "Ah-hah!" moment... I remembered the [abridged] version of why I started this journey to become a teacher.
Acoustics!


happy dance.

I majored in Audio Arts and Acoustics maaaany years ago (ok, not that many). I learned a lot about the science of sound through physics and electronics. I was never a great science student growing up, but I was curious and enthusiastic during my undergrad education. The reason I started my major was to become a recording engineer. I had no idea I would be so interested in the science behind it all. I would stay up late and ask questions about the science of sound. My favorite class was called Psychoacoustics: Human Perception of Sound. Fascinating!

After my education I thought I would love to keep the conversation going through teaching. Life happened and I followed other trails before landing where I am today.

I'm looking forward to integrating the exploration of sound into my classroom. It's not just music. It's architecture, biology, medicine, environmental, it's everywhere!

Shout out to Stephanie for finding the lesson plan on sound in our new PLT book. We talked about how her 4th grade students are learning about sound and it revived my inner fascination with it all. ;)



2 comments:

  1. What a great personal connection to science content and the desire to teach. Sound is a great physical science topic to share with elementary students- there are so many wonderful hands (rather ears) on activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your first hand knowledge about acoustics and can't wait to really pick your brain about it all! It is fascinating:)

    ReplyDelete